September 14, 2023
Traveling to India from the UK
Visiting India can be a marvelous experience for all adventure seekers. This country offers a lot of attractions and incredible places. However, UK nationals must take into consideration some traveling advice and requirements.
Firstly, they need to prepare all necessary documents, such as a passport, a visa, and vaccination proofs if applicable. Applying for an India eVisa is highly recommended, as travelers may save time thanks to the simple application. Only a few steps are required (entering the information, covering the fee, and waiting for approval).
Secondly, they should decide what they would like to see and make a travel itinerary. Check all the newest information on the governmental website to be updated about the situation in the country and consider recent alerts. Remember to pack all the needed things. Prepare accordingly to enjoy a trip without unpleasant surprises.
Do the UK passport holders need a visa to travel to India?
The visa is necessary if you travel to India as a foreigner. There are many types of visas available depending on the length, purpose of stay, way of application, and nationality. British passport holders can get a traditional visa at the embassy or an India eVisa (visa on arrival is not available).
India visa online application process
The Indian visa application process depends on the selected type of visa and the way of getting it (at the embassy or online). The best option is to obtain an Indian eVisa, as it is a very simple and convenient option. Just prepare a device with an internet connection, and:
- Enter the necessary information in the application form (name, surname, date of birth, nationality, etc.) and check all the details twice, as mistakes may lead to delays or even rejection.
- Cover the fee with one of the available methods of payment, such as PayPal, credit/debit card, and so much more.
- Wait for the approval and receive your tourist visa to India via email.
There are several types of Indian visas online: business (multiple-entry), medical (triple-entry), one-year for leisure activities, and five-year (multiple-entry) visas. Also, you can contact the nearest embassy and make an appointment to receive a traditional visa.
Entry requirements for traveling to India from the UK
To enter India, all travelers must meet certain requirements. Check all the details in order to avoid problems and remember about:
- A visa (only an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholders don’t need it).
- A valid passport that won’t expire within the next 6 months with at least 2 blank pages.
- Vaccinations against polio or yellow fever (if applicable).
- Restrictions on bringing Indian currency into the country (you need to exchange money while you are in India and declare any amount above 5,000 US dollars or 10,000 US dollars in notes and checks combined).
Necessary vaccinations for travelers
When it comes to COVID-19, it is good to check information with the airline or travel company, as well as the Indian Ministry of Health website. In case of positive test, you may need to stay where you are until your test will be negative. Proof of vaccination is not needed, but if you have COVID-19 symptoms, you need to follow the instructions of local authorities.
Besides, you may be asked to show evidence of vaccination against polio or yellow fever done at least 8 months before the trip, depending on the specific situation. You can check the required certificates and vaccinations on the TravelHealthPro.
Other important information
- Accommodation providers must register the stay of their guests by submitting a C-Form. Check if the accommodation is registered with FRO (the Foreigners’ Registration Office) before you book it and travel to India.
- Note that the list of goods you can bring and take out of India is very strict. Check it to avoid inconveniences when you visit India.
- You are not allowed to possess/operate satellite phones without a license. You can even be arrested for doing so. Also, permission may be needed for other equipment, such as radio transmitters or recording devices.
- It is not possible to bring rupees to India. Foreigners, including British citizens, must exchange the money in India.
- You must declare if you bring more than 5,000 dollars to India.
- Remember to drink only bottled water, as the sanitary conditions are poor in India.