Travel requirements
Mexico visa policy

Mexico visa policy

The Mexico visa policy introduced by Mexican officials describes the rules for applying for essential travel documents, differentiates available Mexican visa types, and outlines the mandatory entry requirements. Visitors may apply online for a Mexico Tourist Card (FMM Card) or use the SAE Authorization System. It is also possible to issue a regular visa for Mexico at the Embassy.

The Mexico Tourist Card, also known as the Mexico FMM Card, is a travel authorization that should be obtained by every foreign visitor prior to the journey. It is essential for those traveling by land. Traveling for tourism and business purposes, you can spend even 180 days in Mexico. In case of transit, your visit may last up to 30 days.

Apart from the FMM Card, some travelers will be asked to prepare additional documentation. The SAE Authorization is a document required from Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine nationals traveling to Mexico by air for reasons including tourism, business, and transit. When approved, SAE Authorization remains effective for 180 days.

If you would like to visit Mexico for long-term travel, it may be essential to apply for a Mexican regular visa. It may be easily obtained at the nearest Embassy – all you need to do is complete the application form and cover the fee payment. Depending on the activities you plan on pursuing abroad, you should apply for a suitable visa type.

There are almost 70 countries that may enjoy visiting Mexico visa-free. These travelers will be allowed hassle-free entry to the country if they present the required documents (a valid passport and an approved Mexico Tourist Card). There is no need to apply for additional permits.

Traveling to Mexico, it is essential to prepare all the necessary documentation before leaving for the journey. Foreign visitors should have a valid passport and appropriate entry authorization (FMM, SAE, or visa).

Who can enter Mexico?

As long as you possess all the required documentation to enter Mexico, your journey should be effortless and hassle-free. Do not forget to apply for a suitable entry permit – you may be eligible for a Mexico Tourist Card (FMM) or Electronic Authorization System (SAE).

Remember that citizens of around 70 countries from all around the world may enter Mexico enjoying the visa exemption. However, it may be essential to obtain a Mexican visa if you plan a long-term trip for purposes including tourism, business, employment, or residence.

Entry requirements for Mexico

Check the most current entry requirements for Mexico. It is essential that you travel with all the necessary documentation – it will be verified by the immigration officer on arrival.

Documents checklist for entering Mexico

There are a few documents that are required for visiting Mexico. Before leaving for the journey, make sure that you have the following:

  • approved Mexican visa
  • completed SAE Entry Authorization or FMM Mexico Tourist Card
  • passport valid for 6 months minimum beyond the planned travel to Mexico

Depending on your country of origin, it may be essential also to prepare some additional documentation:

  • proof of accommodation reservation (if applicable)
  • proof of good financial standing (if applicable)
  • proof of covering the entry tax (if applicable)
  • proof of covering the departure tax (if applicable)
  • invitation letter from a family member (if applicable)
  • purchased flight ticket, onward or return travel (if applicable)

It is essential that you keep in mind the provided information on entry requirements may change over time. Although the data is checked regularly, it is recommended to always verify current entry requirements to Mexico on the official website or at the Mexican Embassy.

Visa types and available entry permits

There is a number of documents that allow eligible travelers to visit Mexico. Depending on your country of origin, different visas and permits will be available for your application.

Mexico Tourist Card (FMM)

The Mexico FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple), also called the Mexico Tourist Card online, is an entry permit that should be obtained by every person visiting Mexico. The approved Tourist Card allows you to visit the country once for purposes including leisure and business. With the permit, you may spend up to 180 days in Mexico.

During the application, you must complete the Mexico Tourist Card form. Then, cover the payment for the Mexico Tourist Card fee using a credit or debit card.

Mexico Electronic Authorization System (SAE)

The Mexican Sistema de Autorización Electrónica (SAE) is an electronic travel authorization system that allows citizens of Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine to visit Mexico. It is intended for passengers traveling by plane who wish to travel for tourism, business, and transit purposes.

You must enter Mexico within 30 days from the issuing date of your SAE permit – once you arrive in the country, you may spend up to 180 days abroad.

Regular visa

If your nationality is not granted a visa exemption, you must obtain a suitable Mexican visa before your journey. The registration process should be completed in person at the Embassy.

Depending on the duration of the intended stay, the purpose of the trip, and the activities to be pursued, you should apply for an appropriate visa. The most popular are the Mexico Tourist Visa and the Mexico Business Visa. However, you can also apply for a Work Visa, Study Visa, or Residence Visa.

Countries that require an entry permit for Mexico

If you look at the lists below, you will find information on nationalities that must apply for a particular entry permit or visa to Mexico.

FMM Mexico Tourist Card

  • AndorraAndorra
  • United Arab EmiratesUnited Arab Emirates
  • AfghanistanAfghanistan
  • AnguillaAnguilla
  • AlbaniaAlbania
  • ArmeniaArmenia
  • AngolaAngola
  • ArgentinaArgentina
  • AustriaAustria
  • AustraliaAustralia
  • ArubaAruba
  • Aland IslandsAland Islands
  • AzerbaijanAzerbaijan
  • Bosnia and HerzegovinaBosnia and Herzegovina
  • BarbadosBarbados
  • BangladeshBangladesh
  • BelgiumBelgium
  • Burkina FasoBurkina Faso
  • BulgariaBulgaria
  • BahrainBahrain
  • BurundiBurundi
  • BeninBenin
  • BermudaBermuda
  • BoliviaBolivia
  • BrazilBrazil
  • BahamasBahamas
  • BhutanBhutan
  • BotswanaBotswana
  • BelarusBelarus
  • BelizeBelize
  • CanadaCanada
  • Cocos IslandsCocos Islands
  • CongoCongo
  • Central African RepublicCentral African Republic
  • Republic of the CongoRepublic of the Congo
  • SwitzerlandSwitzerland
  • Ivory CoastIvory Coast
  • Cook IslandsCook Islands
  • ChileChile
  • CameroonCameroon
  • ChinaChina
  • ColombiaColombia
  • Costa RicaCosta Rica
  • SerbiaSerbia
  • CubaCuba
  • Christmas IslandChristmas Island
  • CyprusCyprus
  • Czech RepublicCzech Republic
  • GermanyGermany
  • DjiboutiDjibouti
  • DenmarkDenmark
  • DominicaDominica
  • Dominican RepublicDominican Republic
  • AlgeriaAlgeria
  • EcuadorEcuador
  • EstoniaEstonia
  • EgyptEgypt
  • EritreaEritrea
  • SpainSpain
  • EthiopiaEthiopia
  • FinlandFinland
  • FijiFiji
  • Falkland IslandsFalkland Islands
  • MicronesiaMicronesia
  • Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands
  • FranceFrance
  • GabonGabon
  • United KingdomUnited Kingdom
  • GrenadaGrenada
  • GeorgiaGeorgia
  • French GuianaFrench Guiana
  • GhanaGhana
  • GibraltarGibraltar
  • GreenlandGreenland
  • GambiaGambia
  • Guinea BissauGuinea Bissau
  • GuineaGuinea
  • GuadeloupeGuadeloupe
  • Equatorial GuineaEquatorial Guinea
  • GreeceGreece
  • GuatemalaGuatemala
  • GuamGuam
  • GuyanaGuyana
  • Hong KongHong Kong
  • HondurasHonduras
  • CroatiaCroatia
  • HaitiHaiti
  • HungaryHungary
  • IndonesiaIndonesia
  • IrelandIreland
  • IsraelIsrael
  • IndiaIndia
  • Indian Ocean TerritoryIndian Ocean Territory
  • IraqIraq
  • IranIran
  • IcelandIceland
  • ItalyItaly
  • JamaicaJamaica
  • JordanJordan
  • JapanJapan
  • KenyaKenya
  • KyrgyzstanKyrgyzstan
  • CambodiaCambodia
  • KiribatiKiribati
  • ComorosComoros
  • Saint Kitts and NevisSaint Kitts and Nevis
  • North KoreaNorth Korea
  • South KoreaSouth Korea
  • KuwaitKuwait
  • Cayman IslandsCayman Islands
  • KazakhstanKazakhstan
  • LaosLaos
  • LebanonLebanon
  • Saint LuciaSaint Lucia
  • LiechtensteinLiechtenstein
  • Sri LankaSri Lanka
  • LiberiaLiberia
  • LesothoLesotho
  • LithuaniaLithuania
  • LuxembourgLuxembourg
  • LatviaLatvia
  • LibyaLibya
  • MoroccoMorocco
  • MonacoMonaco
  • MoldovaMoldova
  • MontenegroMontenegro
  • MadagascarMadagascar
  • Marshall IslandsMarshall Islands
  • MacedoniaMacedonia
  • MaliMali
  • MyanmarMyanmar
  • MongoliaMongolia
  • MacauMacau
  • Northern Mariana IslandsNorthern Mariana Islands
  • MartiniqueMartinique
  • MauritaniaMauritania
  • MontserratMontserrat
  • MaltaMalta
  • MauritiusMauritius
  • MaldivesMaldives
  • MalawiMalawi
  • MalaysiaMalaysia
  • MozambiqueMozambique
  • NamibiaNamibia
  • New CaledoniaNew Caledonia
  • NigerNiger
  • Norfolk IslandNorfolk Island
  • NigeriaNigeria
  • NicaraguaNicaragua
  • NetherlandsNetherlands
  • NorwayNorway
  • NepalNepal
  • NauruNauru
  • New ZealandNew Zealand
  • OmanOman
  • PanamaPanama
  • PeruPeru
  • French PolynesiaFrench Polynesia
  • New GuineaNew Guinea
  • PhilippinesPhilippines
  • PakistanPakistan
  • PolandPoland
  • Sierra LeoneSierra Leone
  • San MarinoSan Marino
  • SenegalSenegal
  • SomaliaSomalia
  • SurinameSuriname
  • El SalvadorEl Salvador
  • SyriaSyria
  • SwazilandSwaziland
  • Caicos IslandsCaicos Islands
  • ChadChad
  • TogoTogo
  • ThailandThailand
  • TajikistanTajikistan
  • Timor LesteTimor Leste
  • TurkmenistanTurkmenistan
  • TunisiaTunisia
  • TongaTonga
  • TurkeyTurkey
  • TaiwanTaiwan
  • TanzaniaTanzania
  • UkraineUkraine
  • UgandaUganda
  • United StatesUnited States
  • UruguayUruguay
  • UzbekistanUzbekistan
  • Vatican CityVatican City
  • Saint Vincent and the GrenadinesSaint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • VenezuelaVenezuela
  • British Virgin IslandsBritish Virgin Islands
  • VietnamVietnam
  • VanuatuVanuatu
  • SamoaSamoa
  • YemenYemen
  • MayotteMayotte
  • South AfricaSouth Africa
  • ZambiaZambia
  • ZimbabweZimbabwe
  • QatarQatar
  • SingaporeSingapore
  • SeychellesSeychelles
  • PalauPalau
  • RwandaRwanda
  • PortugalPortugal
  • SwedenSweden
  • SlovakiaSlovakia
  • SloveniaSlovenia
  • RussiaRussia
  • Saudi ArabiaSaudi Arabia
  • Brunei DarussalamBrunei Darussalam
  • Trinidad and TobagoTrinidad and Tobago
  • RomaniaRomania
  • ParaguayParaguay
  • SudanSudan
  • South SudanSouth Sudan
  • PalestinePalestine
  • United States Virgin IslandsUnited States Virgin Islands
  • Turks and Caicos IslandsTurks and Caicos Islands
  • Saint Pierre and MiquelonSaint Pierre and Miquelon
  • GuernseyGuernsey
  • Solomon IslandsSolomon Islands
  • Sao Tome and PrincipeSao Tome and Principe
  • Saint MartinSaint Martin
  • Saint HelenaSaint Helena
  • ReunionReunion
  • Puerto RicoPuerto Rico
  • Cape VerdeCape Verde
  • Antigua and BarbudaAntigua and Barbuda

SAE Electronic Authorization System

  • TurkeyTurkey
  • UkraineUkraine
  • RussiaRussia

Entry requirements for children

Every traveler visiting Mexico should meet the necessary entry requirements. Children, similarly to adults, are required to apply for the FMM Mexico Tourist Card. The document is mandatory for everyone, regardless of age.

Transit information

If your transit to another country through Mexico takes more than one day or you are not considered eligible for visa-free travel, you must apply for a special Transit Visa. Otherwise, remember to apply for the entry document (FMM Card or SAE permit).

Important information

  • The Mexico visa policy describes documents that should be completed before your travel. It is essential that you remember to apply for a suitable entry permit (such as FMM Tourist Card or SAE Travel Authorization). For a long-term trip, you must obtain a visa.
  • The FMM Card is a document mandatory for all travelers entering Mexico. It allows for short-term trips for purposes of tourism, business, and transit. You may easily apply for the Mexico Tourist Card online – complete the form and cover the fee payment.
  • The name SAE stands for Sistema de Autorización Electrónica (Electronic Authorization System). Similarly to FMM Card, it allows traveling to Mexico for a limited time period. This document is issued for nationals of Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine only.
  • If you would like to spend an extended time period in Mexico, it may be essential to apply for a regular visa. The registration process should be completed in person at the nearest Embassy or the Mexican Immigration Office.
  • The Mexico FMM Tourist Card is essential for transit purposes. If you plan on passing through Mexico to another destination, apply for an appropriate entry permit.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do I need a visa to travel to Mexico?

If you plan a short-term travel to Mexico, it is not essential to have a visa. However, each traveler should apply for a suitable entry permit. Depending on your country of origin, you will be considered eligible for a Mexico Tourist Card or Mexican SAE Authorization. You need a visa to Mexico for long-term journeys.

What are the types of visas and entry permits available for Mexico?

Planning a long-term travel to Mexico, you should select a suitable visa depending on the time period you wish to spend abroad and the types of activities you would like to pursue. Travelers apply the most often for a Tourist Visa, Business Visa, Study Visa, or Work Visa. Do not forget to obtain an entry permit - Mexico Tourist Card or SAE Authorization.

Can I get a Mexico visa on arrival?

Currently, a visa on arrival is not available for Mexico. You must apply for a different type of visa (unless you come from a visa-exempt country).

What are the requirements for going to Mexico?

Traveling to Mexico, you must apply for an entry permit. Depending on your nationality, you should select a Mexico Tourist Card or SAE Authorization. You must also have a passport that will remain valid for at least 6 months from the planned arrival date to Mexico. It may be mandatory to prepare some additional documentation.

Do I need a visa to transit through Mexico?

It is mandatory to obtain a Mexico Tourist Card or SAE Authorization in case of transit. Remember that if your transit will not take longer than 24 hours, and you will stay at the transit area of the airport, there is no need to apply for a Transit Visa.

What are the requirements for children traveling to Mexico?

Children visiting Mexico should comply with the same travel regulations as adults. Every child entering the country needs a suitable entry permit (depending on their nationality, the FMM Card or SAE Authorization). For longer trips, it is essential that they have a valid visa.