December 1, 2023
Mexican Passport Renewal
You need a Mexican passport renewal if your current passport expires, has a soon-to-expire date, or is lost or stolen. An international passport is a mandatory document for traveling abroad along with a regular visa or electronic visa. Renewing a Mexican passport is a lot less complicated than applying for a passport for the first time.
The process of Mexican passport renewal is straightforward and involves visiting the nearest Mexican consulate or embassy. Begin the application procedure by completing the form and gathering necessary supporting documents, including proof of identity, birth certificate, and face photographs, among others. Pay the applicable renewal fee and schedule an appointment at the Mexican Consulate. The process is so quick that you can get a new passport within the same day.
Specific requirements can vary, so it’s advisable to check with the consulate or embassy for accurate and up-to-date information.
Mexican passport renewal procedure
You can renew your passport when it expires or a year after you leave your residence. The procedure is also necessary if you have lost your passport or it was stolen. The process required by Mexican law is the following:
- Collect the required documents (previous passport, 4 photographs, police report in case of theft or misplacement, ID document, birth certificate, proof of payment).
- Complete the application form. You need to fill out the form by hand with black ink. The renewal form has a shorter length compared with the first-time form.
- Schedule an appointment at a Mexican consular office. You can do it by phone, visiting an official website, and via WhatsApp.
- Attend the appointment. Present the documents and pay the fees for passport services. The duration of an appointment is about two hours, so you must have sufficient time and arrive earlier to avoid further delays.
- Receive your new passport. If your application is in order and you satisfy all the conditions, you will get a new passport on the day of your appointment.
What documents do you need for a Mexican passport?
To renew an expired passport at the Mexican Consulate, you need to prepare all the required documents. They include:
- Two copies of an expired passport/ a passport with a soon-to-expire date (previous and last pages)
- Original birth certificate and two copies
- 4 current photographs (passport size (3.5 x 4.5 cm), front, white background, bare head and without lenses; they must be recent (no more than 30 days)
- The police report of loss of your passport (if there was theft or misplacement)
- Original and 2 copies of other Mexican identification documents in case you are asked for them (for example, the driver’s license, INE, etc.)
- Proof of payment (fees vary based on the passport validity)
Fees for renewing a Mexican passport
The fees to renew your Mexico passport depend on which passport type you need. At the moment, you can select between four different expiration periods.
The price of a 1-year passport is $40 USD, and a 3-year passport costs $93 USD. Whereas if your renewal is for 6 years long, the fee is $126 USD. The 10-year passport costs the most and is only available for adults 18 years and older: to renew your passport for 10 years, you need to pay $192 USD.
You can covers the fees at the Mexican consulates with dollars in cash, a Money Order or with a Visa and MasterCard credit or debit card.
Advice in case of Mexican passport theft or loss
Should your passport be lost or stolen, you ought to report it to the appropriate authorities right away. Keep in mind that reporting this incident will shield you from any identity theft and that this record is essential.
If you are in Mexico, you should file a report at the public prosecutor’s office that is closest to you. Go to a police station or other appropriate authorities if you’re overseas. You will need to request verification of your report in both situations in order to finish the renewal procedure.
Note that if you want to renew your passport and the original document hasn’t expired, the SRE will require proof of nationality again.
Can I renew my Mexican passport online?
No. While you are able to schedule an appointment online, you are required to attend and present all the necessary documents at the Mexican consulate in person.
How do I make an appointment at the Mexican Consulate in the US?
Book a meeting with a Mexican Consulate in the US on the MiConsulado website visitcitas.st.re.gob.mx or by phone at 1-800-399-9900. Since 2013, applicants have been able to request an appointment via WhatsApp at the number +1 (424) 309-0009. Bring the documents and prepare for interviews with Mexican Consulates staff.
How can I renew my Mexican passport as a minor?
If you are underage, you must appear in person at the Consulate General of Mexico accompanied by both parents, tutors, or legal guardians. Apart from general mandatory documentation, you need to attach some additional documents: Consent form OP-7, Mexican birth certificate, and Civil registry.