March 16, 2023
ETA to Australia from Malaysia
ETA to Australia from Malaysia is a must-have for all Malaysians traveling to Australia for leisure and business matters.
On 27 October 2008, the Australian Government implemented an Australian e-Visa to facilitate the application process for foreign travelers, so the ETA application is relatively simple to complete.
An Australia ETA allows Malaysian citizens to enter the country numerous times during its validity period (12 months, or 365 days). Malaysians can have tourist, business, or transit trips for up to 90 days each.
The application process includes several easy steps: one needs to complete an online application form, attach the required documentation and make an online payment.
After processing, the approved Australian e-Visa will be sent to the applicant’s email address as a PDF document. Don’t worry about papers – just take your valid Malaysian passport to immigration control, and the officers will check your Australia ETA by passport number.
Australian visa types
An Australia ETA is an electronic travel authority that permits its holders to travel to Australia for tourism, business, or transit for stays up to 3 months each. Its validity period is 365 days.
The ETA is available for 8 countries (Malaysia is among them) and is applied online.
An eVisitor is an electronic travel permit for citizens of European countries. It allows one to visit Australia for the same purposes and time. It is obtained through an online application form.
Nationals of countries that are not eligible for ETA and eVisitor should get a regular visa if they want to enter Australia. A regular visa can be applied for in an Australian embassy or consulate. The application process involves paperwork and visa interview with officials.
Australia ETA application for Malaysian citizens
The Australian ETA can be obtained from your home, work, coffee shop, gym, or any other place with an internet connection. It will take little time and effort to complete the visa application – it is indeed simple.
Just collect the necessary documents, grab your phone, and start the application process by following these steps:
- Put in the online form your personal, travel, and contact data. Fill out every required field.
- Double-check the details to avoid possible mistakes.
- Upload the required documentation (your passport and face photographs).
- Cover the fees using online payment options.
- Check the inbox. The approved Australian ETA will be sent to your email account. It will arrive as a PDF document. There is no need to make a printout – it is electronically connected to the passport you specified in the application form.
How long can Malaysian nationals stay in Australia with an ETA?
The Australian ETA allows Malaysians to have numerous stays during the ETA’s period of validity. The 12-month term will last one year after approval.
Each visit to Australia cannot last longer than 3 months. Once you use 90 days of stay, you should leave the territory of Australia for a minimum of 3 days. After that, you will be able to return to the country for another 90 days.
Make sure your passport stays valid during your whole trip. If there are any changes to its data, the Australia ETA will lose its effectiveness.
Australian ETA processing time
The processing time for Australian ETA from Malaysia varies depending on such factors as data accuracy, submission time, the planned arrival date, the number of applications waiting for processing, etc.
Normally, you don’t have to wait longer than several days, but be ready for delays and don’t apply last minute. Also, don’t forget to check your email regularly – you may be asked to provide some missing information or documents.
To maximize chances for speedy and successful processing, make sure that your information is error-free and relevant. Any typo or mistake can cause issues and delays.
Requirements for Malaysian passport holders
During the visa application process, Malaysian citizens have to provide two photographs, which can be obtained either via your smartphone/tablet camera or webcam or by scanning the physical document:
- The photograph of your face:
- the photo must be clear and of decent quality
- you must have a neutral expression with eyes open
- the photo must be face-centered and have a plain light background
- The photograph of your passport bio-data page:
- your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival in Australia
- the photo must contain all the passport data
- the photo should be quality and in color
Malaysian citizens willing to apply for an Australian ETA must meet the following technical requirements:
- you must have a functioning device – a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or PC
- your device should have a stable internet connection – Wi-Fi, mobile, or hardwired
- you must be able to cover the fees online – have a debit or credit card, PayU, or PayPal
- you need an active and accessible email account