March 17, 2023
ETA Australia for Canadian Citizens
ETA Australia for Canadian citizens is an electronic travel authorization (ETA) that permits travel to Australia for tourist and business visits. It was launched by the Australian government on 27 October 2008 in order to make the application process easier.
Canadian citizens, as well as other eligible citizens intending to visit Australia, must apply for an ETA online. The process can be completed within several minutes: it is necessary to fill out the form, attach a passport scan, take a face photo, and cover the processing fee.
The decision will arrive in writing form. If your Australia visa is approved, you will be able to visit Australia numerous times during the 12-month validity period. Each travel to Australia can last for up to 90 days.
Do I need an ETA if I am a Canadian citizen?
An Australian ETA is a mandatory document for Canadian nationals to enter Australia.
There are two types of an Australia e-Visa: an ETA and an eVisitor. Both of them are multiple-entry ones, allowing numerous 90-day stays during the validity period of 12 months.
An Australian eVisitor is designed for European countries. An ETA is available for fewer nations. Only 8 countries are able to apply for an ETA to Australia: Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, and the United States.
Nationals who cannot apply for an Australian ETA and eVisitor must travel to an embassy and submit an application in person.
How long can Canadian passport holders stay in Australia?
Canadian citizens holding a valid Australian ETA can enter Australia an unlimited amount of times. Each visit can last for up to 3 months (90 days). If you want to have another 90-day stay, you need to leave the territory of the country, stay outside Australia for a minimum of 3 days, and only then return.
The electronic travel authority to Australia stays valid for 12 months (365 days) from the moment of issue. The Australia e-Visa is electronically connected to your passport, so any passport changes influence your ETA. For example, if your passport expires, your visa will get ineffective.
ETA application: How to apply for an Australian visa online
Once you’ve got all the required information, you can start completing the Australian ETA application form. It’s easy because the application form is short and simple. The online application process consists of the following easy steps:
- Scan your valid passport in a way that all the passport data is clearly visible.
- Fill out the form with your details: e.g., your name and surname, date of birth, nationality, travel dates, phone number, etc.
- Take your face photo – it must be of relatively good quality.
- Answer questions – regarding your accommodation details in Australia, whether you changed your name, hold another passport, or have criminal convictions.
- Make the online payment to cover the service fee.
- Submit the application and wait for a decision.
- Check your email address. If the visa is granted, you will receive approval with your visa grant number, the date your visa starts, and your visa conditions.
Important! It is crucial to check the data provided before submitting. All the information must be accurate, relevant, and true.
If your application cannot be processed or approved without further information, you will receive a letter on how to provide additional details.
How long does it take Canadians to get an Australian ETA visa?
The Australian visa application process itself doesn’t take long. Canadian citizens can submit the form within several minutes, provided they have all the necessary information and documents. However, it still needs to be processed.
Most Australia ETA applications get approved almost immediately. Others have more extended processing time. It can be because of inaccurate information, missing documents, or if more time is needed to verify the data.
Check the status of your application and email address to know if the application may take more time or may be accompanied by additional documentation. Make your best to avoid mistakes and incomplete required boxes.
Australian ETA requirements
Online registration and payment options are fast and easy to complete. However, you must meet some technical and documentation requirements to apply online for an Australian ETA:
- you must have a Canadian passport effective for at least 6 months from the planned date of arrival in Australia; its scan or photo must be of relatively good quality so that all the data is clearly visible
- you must have a working device to install the application and complete the form – it can be either a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or PC
- your internet connection must be stable to complete the form and payment without issues – you may use mobile internet, hardwired internet, or Wi-Fi
- you should be able to use online payment methods – PayPal, PayU, debit/credit cards
- your email account must be active