September 26, 2023
Countries near Australia
There are many interesting countries in the North Pacific Ocean that can be visited by American citizens. As Australia doesn’t have any land borders, it shares the maritime ones with New Zealand, East Timor, Indonesia, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, and the islands of New Caledonia.
Besides, there are also places near the country that also offer a lot to tourists. So, visitors traveling from the US are able to pick the destinations perfect for their expectations. They can even start a long journey from Australia and New Zealand and continue the adventure to more spots. However, each of them requires proper permits for entry, such as a valid passport and a visa. Learn more about the topic to even more enjoy the trip.
Some facts about Australia
Australia is the ideal destination for tourists from the USA. The country (and the world’s smallest continent at the same time) is full of many attractions and natural wonders. You can visit Sydney or Melbourne, relax on many beaches, and explore national parks. Everyone could find something interesting there.
Note that a US passport holder must meet the entry requirements to go to Australia. A valid visa or Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is necessary. Those traveling from US for tourism or business for no more than 90 days are eligible for ETA. The application process is intuitive and simple; you just need to:
- Complete the application form and provide the necessary information (name, surname, nationality, etc.). It is recommended to check details twice and eliminate all mistakes, as they can lead to problems.
- Cover the service fee with one of the available methods of payment.
- Wait for the approval. ETA automatically links to a passport, so you don’t need to print it.
How many countries are close to Australia?
Some tourists planning their vacations may wonder how many countries are close to Australia. When it comes to the sea borders, Australia shares it with the seven destinations. However, there are also some other places that are pretty close. Check the list below and learn more.
Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea is an island in the southwestern Pacific Ocean that offers marvelous culture, festivals, diving, surfing, markets, and fishing. The flora and fauna there are pretty unique and can be admired as well. However, it is good to know that some areas are risky, and the country currently struggles with crime, piracy, and civil unrest. Reconsider your trip and avoid Southern Bougainville and the Highlands region.
In order to go to Papua New Guinea, you need to have a visa. You can obtain it online during the application process. Just prepare a device with an internet connection and provide the necessary information. Then, cover the fee, wait for confirmation, and receive an email with a visa in PDF form. It is advisable to print it out, as it can be checked during border crossing.
New Zealand is the next destination close to Australia. There is a lot to do there – from exploring national parks, glacier trekking, hiking, and extreme sports – everyone will find something interesting.
According to the New Zealand government, Americans going to the country must prepare a valid passport and New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZ eTA) that can be used for tourism, visiting friends/family, business, or transit purposes. The ETA is a multiple-entry permit valid for 2 years and enables a 3-month stay in the country.
Indonesia, located between Australia and Asia, is known for its beauty and colorful culture. You can rest on the beach there, go to tropical forests, and hike in the mountains as a tourist. Besides, Indonesia offers a number of attractions like temples, museums, and national parks.
American citizens must have a visa to Indonesia as long as they intend to stay there for longer than 30 days. Otherwise, a visa is not required, but a valid passport must be presented.
Other nearby destinations
Besides the destinations described above, tourists from America can also go to the following countries close to Australia:
- Vietnam — is a place full of rich culture and history. It is a perfect place for tourists looking for incredible attractions and nature. Americans need to obtain a visa in order to enter Vietnam. The best choice is an electronic visa, as the process of application is straightforward.
- Cambodia — famous for its fascinating history, beautiful beaches, natural attractions, and the capital city (Phnom Penh) is an exciting place for tourists. To go there, remember about online visas to Cambodia to enjoy smooth entry. Just take part in the electronic process, provide information, and cover the fee.
- Thailand — is the best destination for all lovers of beaches, fabulous restaurants, cultural attractions, and nightlife. The most popular cities there are Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, and Phuket. The Thai visa is not required for a stay not exceeding 30 days if you are American.
- Pacific Islands — there are a number of islands in the Pacific Ocean that offer a lot. Easter Island, Tahiti, Bor-Bora, Maui, and so on; a great adventure awaits everyone. For most of these places, you can go just with a valid passport for a limited period as a US citizen. Prepare before the trip and enjoy your stay without inconveniences.