December 6, 2023
Child Passport Renewal
How to renew your child’s passport in the USA?
It is not possible to renew a child’s passport. When children are under 16, parents or guardians must appear in person at the passport agency or an acceptance facility to apply for it. The passport services of the application must be provided in person. It is good to know that the U.S. passport for children is valid for 5 years. Also, it is essential to submit all supporting documents.
In the case of ages 16-17, children can apply for a passport by themselves if they have identification documents. However, it will be necessary to provide a signed statement from a parent that they know about passport submission. Otherwise, guardians/parents must be at the appointment with them.
How to apply for a passport for a child in the USA?
The child’s passport application consists of the following steps:
- Enter the information in the Form DS-11. You need to use the Form Filler tool and then print out the documents. Thanks to this possibility, you can avoid mistakes. Remember not to sign your child’s form until you are informed to do so.
- Prepare citizenship proof. You need to have a physical copy of the original or certified document. Submit one of the following: a current passport, a U.S. birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship.
- Provide a copy of the U.S. citizenship. You need a certified copy or original, as well as a photocopy of the document (legible, on white paper, black and white, and single-sided).
- Show parental relationship through the submission of birth certificate, adoption decree, divorce/custody decree, and court order. Remember that some supporting documents must be original or certified.
- Bring the identification documents (ID, passport, certificates, etc.) to present at the office. Also, remember about a photocopy of an ID.
- What is more, prepare parental consent if necessary. Note that both parents/guardians must apply in person with a child under 16 years old.
- Provide a passport photo that meets the requirements.
- Calculate and cover the passport fee with the available methods of payment.
- Find the location where the submission of the U.S. passport application is possible and submit the documents.
- Track the status of the completed application process. Updates can be provided in the email (note that the process may take time).
What are the requirements for a child’s passport?
The following documents are needed if you want to apply for a child’s passport:
- Proof of parental relationship, such as a certificate of birth
- Parental consent (note that both parents should be present during application when a child is under 16)
- An identification document, such as an ID or a driver’s license
- A recent photo of the child that meets the requirements
- Fee payment proof
Do both parents need to provide permits for a child’s passport application?
It all depends on the child’s age. If the other requirements are met, submitting an application without both parents’ agreement is possible. Note that the easiest way is to show up upon appointment and provide consent.
In the case when both parents can’t attend the meeting, additional paperwork must be submitted, as the Department of State declares. If the proof is submitted, children aged 16 and 17 are able to get a U.S. passport without the presence of a parent.
What information is required in the passport application form for a child?
In order to complete the Form DS-11, you need to fill in the details listed below:
- Name and surname
- Birth date and place
- Social Security Number
- Contact details (email address and phone number)
- Eye color, height, hair color
- School or employer name (if any)
- Mailing and permanent addresses
- Information about parents
- Previous passport number and issue date (if applicable)
How long do I need to wait for a passport for a child?
Currently, the process of getting a passport is extended. Usually, it takes several weeks. For now, you need to expect:
- Seven to ten weeks in the case of routine processing
- Three to five weeks in the case of expedited processing
Note that it may take two weeks for a passport to arrive by mail after printing out. Taking into consideration the delays, it is advisable to apply for a passport now, even without an international trip plan.
How to track an application status?
In order to track the application status of a child’s passport, you need the last name of the kid, date of birth, and the four last digits of their Social Security Number. The updates may be tracked by email if you send the above details to the U.S. Passport Application Status page. The status may be unavailable for the first two weeks, so keep that in mind.
Why is a passport important for a child?
A passport for a child allows traveling abroad and exploring new places. It is advisable to apply earlier, even when you don’t have plans for immediate journeys with children, as the process takes at least several weeks. It is good to know that minors under 16 get a discount when it comes to the application fees. Remember that an adult passport is valid for 10 years, and a passport for a child for 5 years.