March 16, 2023
Australia ETA visa for US citizens
Australia ETA for US citizens is a required approval from Australian authorities for persons willing to visit Australia. On 27 October 2008, the Australian government implemented an Australian e-Visa in order to simplify the application process for citizens of certain countries.
With a valid ETA, US passport holders can enter Australia an unlimited amount of times in a span of 12 months from the date of issue. Each stay can last for up to 90 days, and the time period between visits must be no less than 3 days.
It is extremely easy to apply: download an Australia ETA application, provide your personal and travel information, scan the passport, and take a photo of your face. After covering the fees and submitting your application, you should await a decision from the authorities.
If your Australian ETA application is successful, you will be able to visit the country for tourist and business purposes. Make sure your American passport stays valid for the entire duration of your trip, as otherwise, your Australian visa becomes invalid.
Can US citizens get an ETA for Australia?
While European countries are only eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651), citizens of 8 countries can get an Australian ETA (subclass 601). Besides the US passport holders, ETA can also be obtained by travelers from Canada, Brunei, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, and South Korea.
An Australian eVisitor and an ETA serve similar functions: they allow their holders to travel to Australia for tourist and business purposes:
- you can have leisure activities in Australia, explore the country, visit your friends and family members;
- it also permits to attend conferences, congresses, business meetings, trade fairs, etc.
For citizens that are eligible neither for an eVisitor nor for an ETA, or those who go to Australia for long-term purposes such as employment or studies, there is a regular Australia visa. It can be obtained in an embassy or consulate by making an in-person appointment and having a visa interview.
Australian visa application form
The Australian ETA application form is extremely easy to complete. Americans can apply for an ETA online from any place they want and at any time, even during non-business hours.
You need to complete the following steps on your mobile device:
- Scan your passport and provide some details such as your name, date of birth, passport number, etc.
- Check so that all the data is correct and complete.
- Take your face photo – it must be clear.
- Respond to some questions, including whether you have any criminal convictions or any prior names.
- Cover the Australian visa fee via one of the available online payment methods.
- Submit the application.
- Wait for the decision in writing. If your application is approved by Australian authorities, you’ll receive information stating your visa grant number, when it starts, and visa conditions.
Australian ETA processing time
Most Australia ETA applications get approved immediately. However, sometimes, there can be delays if your application contains errors or typos, or it takes a more extended time to verify your details.
In order to do your best to avoid delays, thoroughly check all the fields. They must be completed and contain only accurate and relevant information.
If you have a criminal conviction in any country, we may request more information from you.
Allowed stay for US citizens with an Australian ETA visa
An Australian ETA is valid for 12 months from approval. US nationals having Australia visas can enter Australia numerous times while the visa stays effective.
One visit to Australia cannot be longer than 30 days. Before the next visit, you should leave the country for at least 3 days. Then you can come back.
Note that the Australian ETA is connected to your passport. It means that in case of your passport expiration or data change, the Australian visa becomes invalid. Check if your US passport stays valid for the whole duration of your trip.
Australia ETA visa requirements
In order to apply for an ETA, US citizens should meet the following requirements:
- you must have a passport valid for at least 6 months from the intended date of arrival in Australia
- you must have a functioning device – a phone, tablet, laptop, or PC
- stable internet connection – Wi-Fi, mobile, or hardwired
- ability to cover fees online
- accessible email address.